Oct 9, 2019
Creating a space within a space to positively replay black
parenthood was the vision of today’s guest. Sara and Misasha get to
chat with Shanicia Boswell about her unique perspectives as a black
parent, and how there’s something for everyone on her popular
Shanicia Boswell is a self-described serial entrepreneur, best
known for her Black Moms Blog, where she talks about parenting,
culture, and lifestyle from a black mom’s point of view. She also
has a company called the Self Care Retreat, where she takes women
to international retreat destinations to release, relax, and
unwind. Shanicia is also an accomplished photographer.
- Shanicia shares the compelling reasons that prompted her to
start her Black Moms Blog.
- Black Mom’s Blog content is about 70% parenting issues,
including subjects such as intimacy and self-care that are relevant
for any race, and around 30% issues that are more race-specific,
with topics such as black hair care, how to be a stronger woman,
and maternal death rates for blacks.
- Caucasian moms are also part of her community. They sometimes
show up to meet-ups, and for various reasons: they might have mixed
children or may have adopted black children, and have questions
when reading the blog articles.
- Sara, Misasha, and Shanicia discuss relationships and how we
connect with different races and sexes.
- Having conversations can change perspectives, and changing it
for one person at a time can have a domino effect and bring about
- There’s a discrepancy between advertiser’s pay rates among
white mom bloggers and black mom bloggers.
- Shanicia imparts some ways she helps to create positive black
experiences for her daughter, who is the only black student in her
- Experiencing “Hair Day” with a white friend married to a black
man with mixed children: get the food, snacks, and movies ready!
Hair is such an important part of black culture.
- Being labeled a single mother in any community typically
carries a stigma, and even more so in the black community. Let’s
dispel the myth of the single black mom. Shanicia suggests that
“single woman” is a more positive narrative.
- Residential Dad: Instagram’s Chronicles of Daddy has joined
Black Moms Blog to speak on fatherhood!
- Shanicia inspires us with her story behind becoming single and
the hard work it took to successfully get back on her feet.
- Self Care Retreat - you’re allowed to spend some time away from
the kids to care for yourself. Without guilt!
- Ways you can lead in love: great suggestions for a wonderful,
yet often under-used attribute that women possess.
Resources / Links:
Like us on Facebook!
Connect with Shanicia!
Ada Twist, Scientist, by Andrea Beaty