Protein is essential for maintaining muscle mass as we age.
Modulating protein intake via dietary intake or fasting can have
variable effects on aging and muscle growth. Whereas
fasting turns off multiple pathways associated
with aging, such as mTOR, IGF-1, growth hormone, and others, eating
for optimal fitness activates these important processes.
In this aliquot, we discuss:
- (00:00) Introduction
- (02:57) Growth-longevity trade-off (Mike
- (11:45) Role of IGF-1 in the aging
process (Valter Longo discussion)
- (12:55) mTOR and the IGF-1 regulation by
amino acids (Peter Attia discussion)
- (15:55) Anti-cancer effect of glutamine
restriction outweigh the negative effect of glutamine deprivation
on the gut and liver (Dominic D’Agostino discussion)
- (22:45) The possibility of using
selective nutrient restriction as an autophagy-inducer (Guido
- (26:23) The IGF-1 Trade-Off: Performance
vs. Longevity (Rhonda Patrick discussion)
Get more Aliquots!
Become a FMF Premium member and get full access to our members-only
podcast, The Aliquot, plus live Q&As with Rhonda, biweekly
Science Digest emails, and more.
Learn more and sign up at: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/aliquot