Aug 28, 2022
Monopoly is a thread—and threat—running through many of society’s fundamental problems, according to Cory Doctorow, an activist, journalist, blogger, science fiction writer, and long-time anti-monopoly champion, who spoke to the club in August, 2022.
Topics covered include:
- Why we’re in a “seminal moment” for anti-monopoly.
- How monopolies came to pervade the economy, limiting business and creating adverse social conditions.
- How monopoly drives wealth concentration, grinding down the young and working class, and exacerbating homelessness.
- How President Biden has champion anti-monopoly, delivering the sweeping Executive Order on Promoting Competition in the American Economy, and appointing key antitrust watchdogs.
- Why Biden’s apppointing Lena Khan as head of the Federal Trade Commission is ”the most salient political appointment of any president in at least 20 years.”