Preview Mode Links will not work in preview mode

SEEing to Lead

Jan 30, 2023

Rae Hughart is a Middle Level Math Educator in Illinois, creator of the Teach Further Model, Instructional Assistant Professor at Illinois State University, and the Director of Training & Development for the Teach Better Team. 

Rae continues to facilitate rich discussions with educators around mastering personalized learning, providing targeted student-focused feedback, and the impact of incorporating purpose into student daily learning. Through building partnerships with local businesses, Rae continues to support educators in designing dynamic, impactful, effective, and connected content - showing the impact of teaching beyond the four walls of a classroom and altering a community into an authentic resource for developing leaders.

After being inducted into the Illinois State University Hall of Fame in 2017, Rae was awarded the 2018 First Place Henry Ford Teacher Innovator Award for her innovative educational impact through the Teach Further Model. Additionally, Rae serves on several Educational Boards including the Association of Illinois Middle Schools (AIMS).

Key Takeaways:

• You always need to immerse your students in the why of the content before actually teaching them a content.
  • The teach forward model allows teachers to create themed internships for students.
  • Leaders can help teachers transition to focusing on the why instead of content by helping them network, getting the community into the school, allowing teachers the time and space to turn their lessons around and put the purpose first  and facilitating community contacts.
  • There must be a clear connection between all the parts of the whole so that's systematic scalable routines are created.
  • There are small specific strategies that can be employed for teachers to gain respect and all of the other things they deserve.
  • Generic and organic conversations are excellent opportunities to create, explore, and cultivate new habits that improve us as people.

Stay in Touch:

Twitter

Website

Remember:

Don't forget to subscribe to the show, rate it, and share with others! Stay in touch with Chris Jones on Twitter or check out his YouTube channel