Tue, 26 April 2022
The Biggest Loser, Friends, and Bridget Jones have a LOT to answer to when it comes to body image! In the fifth episode of Death to Diets, Vinny Welsby and I are talking about the tv shows and movies that did a number on our self-esteem. Have things gotten better recently or is it the same old BS, and were there ANY good shows from the ’00s that helped with body image?
- That these shows often included other problematic things, including transphobia and racism,
- How these shows fed into the idea that fat people need to be saved,
- The shows that have had a good impact on body image,
- That even on shows with better body diversity, they’re always still model-types,
- That the standards have continued to morph and now these shows and movies make things like lip fillers and Botox feel like the norm,
Plus so much more!
Get the shownotes: summerinnanen.com/226